Later we would visit many other wineries with different styles. For instance: the family orientation of Organized Crime Winery, the formality of Vineland Estates, the business veneer of Reif and Tawse, the foreign gloss of Chateau des Charmes.
Last year a blight on the Niagara landscape came in the form of the No. 99 Wayne Gretzky Estates property. Previously the site was the Willow Heights Estates winery, a quaint adobe homestead with front courtyard. Still in the early years of establishing a marketing image it may be excused except for the garish signage on the building and roadside of the well travelled Niagara Wine Route.
Has the signage carried through to the wine or, now with winemaker Craig McDonald, could the 2007 vintage be the turning point for drink-ability? Maybe. Perhaps I should just accept the introduction of ‘hockey puck’ to Wine country?
My opinion, Ww
- Merlot 2006 VQA, #063966 (Oct 2007 -- 78)
- Unoaked Chardonnay 2006 VQA, #063826 (Oct 2007 -- 76)
- Meritage 2006 VQA, #075689 (Jan 2009 -- 80)
- Unoaked Chardonnay 2007 VQA, #063826 (Jan 2009 -- 85)
- Merlot 2007 VQA, # 063966 (Jan 2009 -- 89)